Friday, May 14, 2010

Hair stylist drama....?

Ok... so I hired this woman by word of mouth. She is new in town and just getting her business started and I thought I'd help her get some business going... The first meeting we had setup she had to reschedule... something to do with her son. I can understand that, I have a kid too, so I was ok with it. Then when she finally did show up she seemed really bitchy and I did not like her hairstyle or makeup style... wasn't really confident with her making me look and feel good but still decided to go with it. She wouldnt give me a direct price but just kept saying it'll be cheaper than anyone else in town if you let me use pictures for promotional purposes... We were supposed to have our run through tomorrow (my wedding is on the 18th, 9 days away) and she called today to say she couldnt do it because she still had to go out of town to get stuff for my hair and that we needed to reschedule again for wednesday. I agreed, reluctantly... then tonight at 10:00 PM.... 10!! I have a 15 month old son!!!! She called to see what color my sister wants done in her hair...





So I'm PISSED. Isnt that something that should be able to be decided when shes in the chair... or atleast call at a decent hour tomorrow!??





I told my sister to hang up. that it was inappropriate for her to be calling at such an hour and that I'm ready to get a new hairstylist.





So... am I right to be mad? Would you be mad? Would you be looking for someone new? What would you do?Hair stylist drama....?
She has given you no reason to trust her to do the makeup and hairstyle that you want. She is not set up as a beauty salon and will have to purchase the makeup that she will use. If she buys quality makeup, she will be spending quite a bit. Is she planning to charge you the full cost of everything she has to buy? She also has to purchase the items needed to do your hair. Again, she will be paying retail prices for these products as she will not be buying the quantity needed to get a wholesale price. She has not yet quoted you a price and can charge anything she wants after she has done the job and you have no recourse. You are going to end up with a look that she thinks is nice and you have already decided that you do not like the type of look that she likes. Why, again, are you having her do your look for one of the most important days of your life?Hair stylist drama....?
You should be mad. You should fire her and find another hairstylist, one who is a professional (which this woman is not, and *that* is why she charges less).





Yet another example of a wedding vendor promising that they will charge you less than others would, then providing you with less than what you agreed upon. Never hire anyone who charges significantly less than the going rate - there's always a reason, and the reason is always bad. Always.
she doesnt sound very realiable if you ask me, what if she doesnt show up the day you get married cause of some unknown reason. I'd quickly find a stylist that is nice and that you can trust to do a great job. Be as mad as you want at the woman cause shes really disrespectful calling you at that hour and being rude to you.
After 8 pm, it better be important, after 10 it better be life threatening or don't call me...





I think you're right to be po'd. If you do find someone else, let her know in advance and offer to buy any supplies she's purchased for your hair (don't let her keep it of course). Follow up in writing in case she tries to say you have a contract.
Well congrats on the wedding. If I were you I would be finding someone else. She sounds like a person that is not trust worth. I would hate for the day of the wedding to come and her not show up. Good luck.
This kind of stuff pisses me off because I do freelance work %26amp; my clients are important to me. I just happen to be a licensed ';non practicing'; hairstylist as well so it's a double whammy. Yes, it's rude.





First of all, kids are not an excuse. I don't have any %26amp; I know you understand her, but it's highly unprofessional to bring your personal life %26amp; drama into your business. She could have been more professional %26amp; used a difference excuse but she used the mom excuse because maybe she knew you would relate %26amp; she was probably lying anyway.





Then she shows up with a serious lack of skills, care, or concern %26amp; makes you feel uncomfortable. Bad business. And WTF is she picking up for your hair? I only do friends %26amp; family %26amp; I'm pretty well stocked on colors, developers, etc.





Thirdly, fourthly, and fifthly, she should have given you a clear price. Why you didn't challenge her on that is beyond me. Who wants to wonder whether it's going to be $100 or $1,000?





And lastly, I don't give a sh!t if she's busy %26amp; only has time to return calls at 10pm, that's on her, and you should never assume a client is even awake past 8pm at the latest. She's either hustling %26amp; overworked, needs an assistant, or just isn't up to par %26amp; might have been drinking all day. Who knows. In any case, yes it's unprofessional %26amp; I would be pissed too.





And why is she putting her lack of availability on you by saying that she's going out to buy stuff for YOUR hair like that's a reason? That should have been done a long time ago. If I was doing your hair, I would be more stressed than you are, and would have all my T's crossed %26amp; all my I's dotted because I'm responsible %26amp; I wouldn't stress out a bride.
Actually my mom goes to a hairstylist that works at home, and talking at that hour is fairly reasonable.





Still, I would have fired her long before, for being so unreliable and not even giving me a price, and for the fact that I hated her work!





If you really like her, ask her not to call at that time again. she won't. If you don't, then look for someone new. I don't think that you should blow up on her-- no use for either of you.





Edit:


Oh gotcha. Well as I said up to you. Personally I wouldn't have hired someone that I didn't know or that didn't work at a salon for my wedding. Again, if you want to stay with her tell her that you can't talk at that hour-- if you are trying to be so helpful, hiring a new stylist in town, the feedback would help her for other customers too.
I personally don't think 10pm is late at all, but then my mom IS a self employed business woman, and receives calls that late, if not later. But she would never call someone else that late.





But having said that, this woman sounds like a horrible business woman. You have no obligation to help her start her business, so I'd drop her and find someone who's work you actually like.

No comments:

Post a Comment